space greeting people


Member of UCIEP  
Accredited by
Pitt Textbook Series

ELI Admission

1. To be accepted into the ELI, students must:

  • show proof of graduation from high school or attendance at a university
  • submit a completed application form (including any required documents listed in section G of the application) and appropriate fees

2. Students who need a student visa to enter the United States (click here for hints about getting a student (F) visa) must provide one of the following below:

  • An original bank statement or a scanned, color copy of one from within the last six months in your own or a personal sponsor's name showing a balance of at least US $21,570 in the bank (equivalent to expenses for two terms of study; you must show this amount even if you plan to study for only one term). Please note that these funds must be readily available, such as in a checking or savings account. You must show additional amounts for each dependent (husband/wife and/or children) who comes with you.
  • A current, original scholarship award letter from your sponsor organization. The scholarship letter must state that your sponsor will pay for English courses and living expenses.
  • If your sponsor is a family member or person in the U.S., you need a bank statement from that sponsor showing at least US $21,570 (or US $6,135 for short summer programs) and a letter from that sponsor stating that the sponsor will be responsible for your tuition and living expenses.

3. All students take a placement test upon arrival. There are no classes for beginners, so students who place below the high beginning level will be directed to other English programs. Our high beginning level is approximately equivalent to 24 on the internet-based TOEFL. The level 2 classes will not run if fewer than 10 students register.

4. If you have a student visa (F-1) from another English program in the US, you must transfer your I-20 to the ELI. You must request a transfer release form from us at the time you apply, and consult with the student advisor at your current school about how to proceed.

Revised 6/19/17