ELI Housing Assistant
Although students are responsible for making their own apartment leasing arrangements, the ELI Housing Assistant can help students to locate suitable apartments. The ELI Housing Assistant cannot find an apartment for students before they arrive. If you would like help from the ELI Housing Assistant, you must submit the ELI Housing Assistance Request Form at least one week in advance.
The ELI Housing Assistant can help ELI students to:
- locate an apartment
- make telephone calls to landlords
- visit apartments
- arrange utilities (such as phone and electricity)
- take care of housing problems that develop during the term.
If you plan on working with the ELI housing assistant and looking for an apartment when you get here, you must make hotel reservations in advance. You can expect to stay in the hotel for three or more days while you look for and sign the papers for an apartment.
Neighborhoods Near the University
Most students choose to live in apartments in neighborhoods near the University -- Oakland (North, South, Central, or West), Shadyside, or Squirrel Hill. Other neighborhoods that also are convenient and affordable are Greenfield, Bloomfield, Friendship, Highland Park, and Regent Square. Frequent buses go to all of these areas, and you will be able to ride the bus for free with your Pitt student ID.
Resources for Renting an Apartment
More information about renting an apartment can be found be on the University of Pittsburgh's Housing Resource Center web pages:
- Student Guide (a University of Pittsburgh publication containing information about how to find an apartment, find a roommate, be a good neighbor, etc)
- Apartment Listings (a searchable database of apartments and sublets near campus)
- Renter's Guide (basics of renting an apartment and signing a lease)
- University of Pittsburgh Roommate Matching Service (list of students who have apartments and are seeking roommates and a list of students who are looking for rooms in apartments)
The University's Office of Student Affairs has produced a series of short videos about finding housing, Pittsburgh's neighborhoods, finding housing while abroad, and other helpful information.