The Summer Language and Culture Program (SLCP) is designed to provide students with a balance of coursework to improve their English skills along with fun activities outside of the classroom so that they can use their English and immerse themselves in American culture. Read what Wuhan University in China has to say about a similar summer program we created for them (English or Chinese)!
- Summer 2018 (canceled)
- Summer 2019 (dates to be announced)
Classes and Skills Developed:
This is a part-time program with classes meeting for four hours per day, four days per week. The program uses a variety of content to help students improve their communication skills in English. Classes are taught entirely in English and require a minimum intermediate level of proficiency. Classes are non-credit and focus on developing:
- English conversation skills
- Listening skills through movies, TV shows and music
- Knowledge of American culture and customs, including Pittsburgh’s influence on American history
Topics and associated activities may include:
- American History: visit local historical sites
- Arts: visit the Andy Warhol Museum
- Media: visit a newspaper office or TV studio
- Civil Rights: hear from guest speakers and visit the August Wilson Center for African American Culture
Additional cultural activities and field trips in the afternoon and on weekends will include:
- Baseball game
- Hiking in the mountains
- Art and history museums
- Boat tour on Pittsburgh’s rivers
- Day Trip to Niagara Falls (New York)
- Do not apply for a student visa to attend this program. The ELI cannot issue I-20s for this part-time program.
Tuition and Fees
Students in the Summer Language and Culture Program are part of the University of Pittsburgh community and can use all libraries, recreational/sports facilities and computer labs on campus. Students also have access to discounted cultural activities throughout the city.
Housing is not included in the price of this program. Students in the SLCP program usually choose to stay with friends or famliy in Pittsburgh or live on campus in University dorms. If you would like to stay in University dorms for this program, you should apply directly to Panther Central.
Application Process and Deadline
To apply to the SLCP, applicants must provide:
- proof of graduation from high school OR
- proof of attendance at a university
Students must submit a completed application and the necessary fees by the deadline of May 15, 2018. Please apply as early as possible to avoid delays and to ensure a place in the program.
Students will be notified of their acceptance into the program on or shortly after May 15.
Contact us for more information about the SLCP program.