This course is designed to prepare students for the iBT TOEFL (Internet-Based TOEFL) by focusing on reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills.
Dates: (Fall 2017, university term 2181):
- Oct. 4 - Nov. 8
- Classes meet on Wednesdays
- 11:00 am - 1:00 pm: Reading and Writing (Module 1)
- 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm: Listening and Speaking (Module 2)
Taking both modules satisfies 24 hours of academic study requirement for International Au Pairs. This course is usually offered during the fall, spring, and summer terms.
This course will help students to understand the components of the TOEFL, what to expect in regard to the computer procedures, and how to prepare for the test. The instructor will introduce each section of the test, and will assist with problem areas. Some of the class meetings will be held in a computer lab.
Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL iBT Test by D. Phillips (paperback, with MyEnglishLab and online access to MP3 files and answer key), Longman, Third Edition 2014, ISBN: 9780133248128). The textbook is available for purchase at The University Store on Fifth.
During the course, the text will be used for study of TOEFL test sections, for information on how to prepare for the test, and for practicing the different skill areas tested by the TOEFL. This book can also be used for self-study.
- $200 per module for non-ELI students
- $165 per module for ELI students who have already registered for another course in the ELI's Intensive English Program
- Oct. 3
- Students must be intermediate to advanced speakers of English (equivalent to ELI levels 5 or 6) in order to register for the class.
- Please register in person or by mail.
- Payment is accepted by cash (in person) or by check, no credit cards.
- Make check payable to University of Pittsburgh.
- Return completed registration form and payment to:
University of Pittsburgh
English Language Institute
Attn: Admissions Officer, Short Courses
Parkvale Building, Room M13
200 Meyran Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Contact us for more information about the iBT TOEFL Preparation Course.
Students can register to take the iBT TOEFL test on the University of Pittsburgh campus. Test times are arranged by appointment online on the ETS web site.
For information on taking the TOEFL at the University of Pittsburgh, please contact:
Computer Based Testing Center
Room G35 Cathedral of Learning